What is a Mscypaa Bid Committee?
In order to bring Mscypaa to your area you need to put together a bid book or, “bid package” to show that you’re capable of hosting Mscypaa. This means finding a hotel contract or written agreement, hosting events (not required), doing outreach, etc. Bid committee meetings are where you plan and make things happen. Being a part of the committee is a lot of fun, and a great way to be of service in AA while carrying the 36 principles of Alcoholics Anonymous.
Bid Committee Bidding Requirements
The below requirements are necessary to put on a full bid at the convention. All incomplete bids will be considered a token bid.
- Bid committees must have at least three (3) members of AA who are under thirty-five (35) years old with at least one (1) year of continuous sobriety. Committee must include a chair, secretary, treasurer, and hotel chair.
- Provide a mailing address for the committee (a PO box is preferable)
- Bid committees must include in their bid package an unsigned draft of a contract from at least one but preferably two hotels for a weekend falling between July – October.
- There will be a maximum of 20 minutes for the presentation of each bidding city.
- Bids must display a positive relationship and participation with AA service structure below the group including but not limited to local district, area and intergroup.
- Must provide a statement illustrating their reasons for bidding, and how hosting the convention in their area will serve to carry the AAs message to the alcoholic.
Bid Committee Bidding Guidelines
Below are suggested guidelines to include in a bid. They are what has worked in the past.
- All contracts should include: – proposed dates
- A maximum of one hundred fifty (150) room nights total (seventy five each for both Saturday and Sunday)
- – a flat room rate if possible (the same rate for single, double, triple, or quad occupancy)
- – proposed Food and Beverage commitment, if any
- – a ballroom with a five hundred (500) person capacity
- – three or four other rooms or break out rooms with a fifty (50) person capacity
- – two meeting/conference rooms available for the exclusive use the host committee and advisory council for the duration of the convention
- A treasurer’s report and / or accounting statement must be included. The Treasurer must demonstrate the committee’s financial responsibility and autonomy in keeping with the spirit of the Seventh Tradition. A statement of understanding that the host committee agrees to turn over all proceeds over expenses from their Convention have been settled to the advisory council within 30 days of the end of the convention.
- Bid package may include letters of support from both Areas 30 and 31 along with statements from these areas which states there is no known large scale AA event in the local community 30 days before or after the convention. Proposed dates for the convention are not to fall within 30 days of any large scale national, regional, or local AA convention.
Bid Committee Bid Package Checklist
You should come to MSCYPAA with the following items in your bid package in order:
- Membership Roster which lists members name, contact information, sobriety date, and service position on the committee.
- A contract or written agreement, unsigned, from each of your potential hotels or convention locations.
- The committee’s post office box or mailing address, and the URL of any websites, social networking pages or groups, or any other web / internet presence.
- A treasurer’s report of all income and expenses of the bid committee.
- A written statement of understanding that the Host Committee shall turn over all funds after convention expenses to the Advisory Council within thirty (30) days after the last day of the convention.
- A statement illustrating the committee’s reason for bidding and how hosting the convention in your area will serve to carry the AA message to other alcoholics.
- Letters of support from the area committee and district committee of the planned convention site, including a statement from both the area and district that there is no known large scale AA event 30 days before or after the proposed dates for your convention. Proposed dates for the convention are not to fall within 30 days of any large scale national, regional, or local AA convention.
- Pre-Registration flyer in the event you are awarded the convention. Flyer should not include dates. Only “MSCYPAA ## and Region”
- If at all possible, please try to bring enough copies of your bid package for all members of advisory and one copy for the MSCYPAA Archives